Monday, November 2, 2009

Morningside Heights

Morningside Heights



A shirtless ode sweats hot verse, pulses words,
wrings them like lime, into this open mouth.



A silver hymn, beaded with prayers, hangs
like its Christ from the rearview mirror.



Past Riverside a saline epic shifts, cradling blue
crabs and bass, propelling sewage and plankton.



Crying over the baseball field, newborn graffiti
poetically claims cliffed Manhattan schist.



On one-tenth the root of a Siberian carpe diem
tips my toes and carries cobblestone;



and London haiku, green from eating pollution,
peel brown bark to bare white within.



A stunted doggerel breaks bricks on College
Walk, tricks and trips, sucks in stilettos.



A fossilized elegy, each tentacle a series
of circles, ages in the limestone wall.


Copyright ©Xiomara A. Maldonado 2008


4 comments:

  1. I love these pictures, just got back to Iraq and I had to get a piece of home. Thank you

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you are enjoying the pictures! Knowing that you can come to my site to get a piece of home gives me great pleasure. Thank you so much for commenting! Be sure to be on the look out for more photographs soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love these photographs. they are all so strong. i especially love the branches, limes, and crucifix.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so much. I love those too. xoxo

    ReplyDelete